Prepare yourself. Our new kitchen needs a little bit of TLC to bring into the 21st century. Okay a lot of TLC. Whenever I look at the backsplash, I think of a comment one of the Property Brothers made on one of their shows, which was “don’t match the ugly.” And man, are those tiles an excellent match to the cabinets and the shell border.
There are a million things I want to do & of course not all of them will get done right away. I’ve been browsing for (and pinning) inspiration pictures. I think my kitchen role model will be Dana from House*Tweaking‘s awesome kitchen make-over.
Here’s what’s on the short to medium-term list (in no particular order):
- Replace the ceiling fan light monster (Any favorite flush mount fixtures?)
- Pry those awful faux hinges off the doors (Yup, those metal pieces aren’t connected to the actual hinges)
- Replace the cabinet hardware
- Add molding to the cabinet doors (like so)
- Paint the cabinets (any paint/paint color suggestions? what about helpful hints?)
- Replace the backsplash with something clean and modern
- Remove the “she sells seashells by the seashore” border
- Paint the walls
- Replace the linoleum with tile
- Replace the vintage vent-hood with a microwave/vent combo
In the long-run I’d like to replace the counter tops (but since we might want to replace the cabinets eventually, I’m not sure how to approach that). I’d also love to open up the opening into the living/dining room, scrape/replace the ceilings, and update the dishwasher. And while there’s lots on our to do list, it’s nice to know that the house is totally liveable & we’ll get to those over time.
Now please keep your fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly with closing! I can’t wait to share more details & pictures!