{Furniture Fix-Up} Retro Stereo to Wine Buffet

I still owe you a proper before & after post and a budget breakdown of how we transformed our Craigslist find from a non-working vintage stereo with peeling laminate to a fun and functional wine buffet.  So here it is!

Retro Stereo Cabinet Makeover - Finished - #thissarahloves

If you’ve been following along, you now that we added those wine racks where the speakers used to be.  We also gutted the inside and created storage for our appetizer plates, as well as other bottles and pitchers.

Retro Stereo Cabinet Makeover - Filling up the shelves - #thissarahloves

Here’s what we used to make this all happen.  I’m dividing the list into (1) Things we had to buy, (2) Things we had already but we hadn’t used for another project, (3) Things we had leftover from another project, and (4) Tools we already owned.

(1) Things we had to buy:

  • Two MDF handy panels: $6.50 each; $13.00 total
  • Two packets of screws: $1.00 each; $2.00 total
  • One set of hole saws: $14.00
  • Two sample size Behr Paint in Cathedral: $3.00 each; $6.00 total
  • One oops sample size Behr Paint (Dark Grey): $0.50
  • Extra-fine sanding block: $3.00
  • Paint tray for poly: $2.50
  • Total: $41.00

(2) Things we already had (but hadn’t used for another project)

  • One oops sample size Behr Paint (Light Grey): $0.50 {already owned, but not used on another project}
  • Total: $0.50

(3) Left-overs from other projects:

  • One oops sample size Behr Paint (Bright Green)
  • One sample size Behr Paint in Harbor
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Paint Brush
  • Polyacrylic
  • Foam Brush
  • High Density Foam Roller
  • 2″x4″ lumber (for shelf supports)
  • Sanding paper for the mouse sander

(4) Tools we already owned:

  • Drill
  • Jigsaw
  • Electric screwdriver
  • Mouse sander

So our total out-of-pocket expense (not including the wine to stock our new buffet) was $41.50.

I’m counting the paint in list #2 since the cost hadn’t been assigned to a different project yet.  I also count the entire cost of anything new we had to buy, even if we have leftovers.  That way I know exactly how much money actually left my pocket for this project!  {It’s not like you can return a partially used sanding sponge to get some of your money back!}

I’m guessing it would have been around $75 if I had to buy all of the items in list (3) as well, but you would have tons of leftovers for future projects!  Still not bad for a piece this size!

And because everyone loves a good side-by-side before-and-after, here you go!

Retro Stereo Cabinet Makeover -  #thissarahloves

Thanks for following along on this project journey / stopping by to check it out!

A Blog Signature

You can read more about our progress in these posts:

Sharing here: Give me the Goods Monday, Be Inspired at Elizabeth and Co,  Hooking Up with House of Hepworths, Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed, That DIY Party at DIY Show Off,

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “{Furniture Fix-Up} Retro Stereo to Wine Buffet

    • Thanks Angela! I really like that there is some closed storage on this piece. I’ve come to realize that doors and other closed storage is the answer for someone who hates to dust. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s