Although this isn’t the Pinterest Challenge project I had in mind, since it was at least partially Pinterest inspired, it will have to be my Fall Pinterest Challenge project. Oh and yes, I am fully aware that I’m a day late with this post.
Hurricane prep put a damper on projects this weekend. This was our first storm, so we made sure to stock up on non-perishables. I also cleaned and vacuumed, including doing ALL of the laundry! (Whoo!) Then I turned my attention to turning perishables into semi-self stable comfort food.
Which brings me to
First I whipped up a batch of microwave caramel fudge. I shared the recipe here. You should try it! Just don’t ever calculate the # of calories you’ll be consuming.
Next I decided that the bag of shredded mozzarella cheese in our freezer should be used up ASAP. I think I was just using hurricane prep as an excuse for eating delicious muffins. I poked around my recipe books, but could only find recipes for cheese scones and I wanted muffin shaped treats – please don’t ask me why I was so set on muffins… I found the perfect recipe to try out via Pioneer Woman! Don’t these look delicious?
Image from The Pioneer Woman’s blog
I had to change it up a little, as I wanted my muffins to be gluten free. So here’s my version of Fig’s Cheese Muffins, as shared by Pioneer Woman. Since mozzarella melts easily, you can’t actually see the cheese in my muffins, but they taste pretty darn delicious.
Gluten Free Cheese Muffins (Makes 12)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (1 pre-shredded package)
- 1.25 cups milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg yellow
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- Whisk together dry ingredients, add in cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, egg yellow, and butter together.
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and combine very gently.
- Whip egg white until stiff.
- Fold in very gently.
- NOTE: Mixture will be very runny.
- Scoop mixture into a greased muffin pan. Make sure to get approximately equal amounts of cheese in each cup.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Before serving, slice these in half & pop in the microwave for 15 seconds. Serve with butter. Yum!
Next time I think I’ll try to add some (very) finely diced jalapenos. And maybe use some sharp cheddar. I think these would be perfect to make for a brunch with friends!