We sold our previous TV stand on Craigslist. This was for the best. It was very Ikea-y, too dark, and had too much space for knickknacks. Here’s a very old picture of it.
See, it wasn’t good. Even when it was better than that it still wasn’t good….
I searched high and low for something new. I didn’t want to spend a ton of money and I didn’t want to buy something that we would just end up throwing out (or putting on Craigslist) when we move. I also wanted something that would hide the cord clutter a little better.
So our TV sat on Andy’s nightstand for more than a month. Good times. Good look too. The cable box got to hang out on a folding chair. We’re classy like that. Then things got even more classy… Someone in our complex placed a perfectly good Basset Dresser by the dumpster (or as Andy likes to call it “donated to the universe”). And yes, I made my dear husband drag it home.
It was the perfect size for a TV cabinet! Good height, great width. It could hide the cords & had both storage space and enough space for ALL of our components. I turned to trusty old Pinterest for some info on how to convert a dresser to a TV stand, and found two inspiration posts.
In my excitement to refinish the dresser, I forgot to snap a before picture, but here’s what the companion tall dresser looked like. Most of it is sold wood, and you couldn’t beat the price, which was free!
A few trips to Home Depot later, we replaced two drawers with some standard size melamine shelves, added some molding to hide those shelf edges, painted the inside dark grey, the outside white, added some cute silver drawer pulls, and drilled some holes in the back to feed the cords through.
What do you think? We think it looks pretty awesome.
Here’s the cost breakdown:
- Dresser: $0 (donated by the universe)
- Primer: $0 (already owned)
- White Paint: $3 Behr Paint Sample in Regular Old off-the-shelf white
- Gray Paint: $3 Behr Paint Sample in Pencil Point
- Brushed Nickel Drawer Pulls x2: $6
- Molding: $6
- White melamine shelves x2: $12
- Drill bit to make 2″ holes in the backboard: $7
- Poly-acrylic: $0 (already owned)
- Total Out of Pocket Cost: $37!
What a steal! Obviously the primer and poly weren’t free, neither were the foam brushes, foam roller, and roller tray that were thrown away after getting covered in oil-based primer. So, lets round up and say we got it all done for under $50, which I think is pretty impressive (ifIdosaysomyself)!
Even though we technically started this project before the Pinterest Challenge was announced, I’m linking up with Katie, Sherry, Kate and Michelle, since Pinterest provided the pinspiration and it was finished in time!